About Advertise
Culture, Reality
Billboard

Slut

by Linda Stupart / 07.07.2011

‎”They wore blouses with buttons down the front that suggested the possibilities of the word undone. These women could be undone; or not. They seemed to be able to choose. ”
— Margaret Atwood, The Handmaid’s Tale, 1985.

If you’ve been trawling through Facebook lately you may well have seen something about a “Slutwalk” in Joburg or Cape Town. These events mark the South African leg of an international protest against victim blaming in rape cases, sparked, rather obscurely, by an incident in Canada where a representative of the Toronto police told a university assembly, “women should avoid dressing like sluts in order not to be victimized”. The comment, which is understood as hugely problematic in its conception of sexual violence, agency and assumed complicity (or blaming of women), has caused ‘slutwalks’ around the world in protest.

Internationally and locally, writers, bloggers and tweeters (who are often women) are mostly treating the slutwalks with derision, a lot of which seems based on a set of knee jerk responses that can be summarized as such:

“Slut” is a derogatory term, one that oppresses women, and is not something to march for the right to be labeled as. (But, I ask, what about the right to be promiscuous, without being labeled unclean?)

Women dressing “as sluts” continue to define themselves in terms of male definitions of desire and desirability.

Women are objectifying themselves here, reducing themselves to the realm of object, which undermines sexual rights and subjectivity.

Women, particularly in South Africa, put themselves in danger by dressing “provocatively” and walking in public. (And surely this in itself is profoundly distressing and worth protesting?)

I mention these criticisms because they are easy to make; and also because, in part, many of them have an element of validity. I myself am extremely wary of this slut walk action, particularly in South Africa. However, my reasons are more complex; and more context specific.

Yes, South Africa is the rape capital of the world, so, yes, any action that protests sexual violence seems relevant, and important. However, while this kind of protest is completely at home in New York and Toronto, somewhere where women might engage, theoretically, in what it means to reclaim the word “slut”, in South Africa is this really our issue when it comes to gender inequality and sexual violence? When sexism is so entrenched in government policy, where rape fantasies are published in the UCT newspaper (thanks Anton Taylor), where a man may legally have as many wives as he wants, where women are raped by policeman, parents, brothers every minute of every day and lesbian women living in townships across the country live in fear of “corrective rape”, and fear reporting this violence lest they be ridiculed by their community and the police?

Tracey Emin, Psycho Slut, 1999

Perhaps it’s this last bit that somehow makes me, a white middle class academic feminist, feel a bit uneasy. In the same way that black American women started to question the issues of the early Feminist movements, which claimed to speak for all women, I cannot help but feel apprehensive that many women who risk rape daily, and the majority of women in South Africa, women of colour, seem at present to be absent from this event. Is it, perhaps, then, a misguided, privileged white feminist academic cause? Is a group of women in skimpy clothes in the face of real violence against real women maybe a bit irrelevant, a bit silly even?

Then again, it should be pointed out that I also know what it is to fear rape. And many of my privileged feminist friends have been victims of male sexual violence, of rape. So this, then, is certainly the issue of every South African woman.

One might also argue that in South Africa, after Zuma’s rape trial in which he famously used the “short skirt” excuse, the Slutwalk is particularly powerful. Zuma claimed that his accuser wearing a short skirt indicated that she was “ready” and that, “in the Zulu culture, you cannot just leave a woman if she is ready” and that “to deny her sex, that would have been tantamount to rape.”

So the women’s-choice-of-clothing-is-to-blame –for-rape argument is important in South Africa, but how can this protest move beyond a fun, if angry, gathering of a few hundred young white women? How do we move beyond spectacle into something powerful, how can we be taken seriously within these very parameters? Perhaps what is important is to find the voice of a broader section of South African women within this cause. What do gender groups think of the Slutwalk? Will they be there? Where is Sonke, Masimanyane, Luleki Sizwe, Rape Crisis? What do actual rape victims think?

Instead of these voices, what I can share with you are selections of the multiple Facebook dissidents of this protest, and this cause. Pieter Ulrich Fischer is distressingly typical in stating:

“Women must also understand that the way they dress will influence men. I am not saying they asked for it, or am justifying it but am saying that women must dress modestly. At least 20% of rapes would not happen in my opinion if we did not have nudism and or over sexual clothing. Cover up people!”

Further arguments happening locally hinge on the idea that walking around in skimpy clothing is tempting men to rape: like putting “booze in front of an alcoholic” (thank you Annelize Rust McDermid) or that men are programmed to rape (James Watts). These suggestions not only deny women our subjectivity, our rights as human beings, but also position men as, literally, animals. Suggesting it is in their “nature” to rape, to fuck, to abuse women. Not only is this incredibly sexist towards men, it is at the center of the perceived male/female sexual dichotomy that is at the heart of the Slutwalk’s cause. Because of course, the corollary is then also true; that it’s in our nature, as women, to submit, to wait, perhaps to protest (too much) and so on.

As misguided as it may appear on the surface, Slutwalk is a very important, empowering event because it deals with the concept of freedom.

To end, as I began, I’d like to quote further from Atwood’s Handmaid’s Tale in pointing out that: “There is more than one kind of freedom […]. Freedom to and freedom from.” This march is about both kinds of freedom. It says that women need to be free to have as much sex as we want to, and to dress however we please, to be empowered sexual beings, to claim agency. And most importantly women need to be free from sexual abuse, rape and violence.

We talk a lot about freedom in this country, maybe it’s time we start taking it seriously.

28   6
RESPONSES (123)
  1. Pablo says:

There are two separate issues here. One is “Blaming the Victim”, the other is causation. We understand why it’s wrong to blame the victim – this hardly requires another defence, it being rather obvious. In an ideal world, women should be allowed to walk around dressed however they want. But, of course throw that ideal into the gory, messy vortex of real life, and suddenly things change. Parallel: I decide to walk through Observatory at 11 brandishing my wealth gluttonously and insensibly, with a laptop under my arm. I get accosted, and my laptop is stolen. Now – are you allowed to tell me it was insensible to do so? I’d say – No! In an ideal world, I should be allowed to walk through whatever neighbourhood I want without having to hide my possessions, you can’t blame me, I’m the victim! But someone offering good advice would say, but that laptop acted as a provocation for an OPPORTUNIST thief. Mull over that parallel for a while.

The other issue is causation. There is no direct link between the way you dress and your ability to be raped – history is littered with rape victims who look so awful you’d conjure them up to stall ejaculation. But does anyone dispute that a certain constellation of factors can contribute to the potential of your being raped? For example, drinking – of course this is going to make you more vulnerable. And in the case of dress, it might (or might not) provide an incentive for an opportunist rapist. To deny this, is of course wishful thinking. And to answer – I should be able to do blah blah is equally naive. We should be able to do x number of things, but we live in a world which has cirumstances and contexts and frustrates these utopian impulses of ours.

So, let’s not blame the victim, but let’s be aware of causation and its factors, shall we?

2. Matthew Eriksen says:

This article was so good, until that comma splice. Shucks.

3. for real says:

There’s an important and well-researched aspect/fact about rape that has not yet been mentioned in either the article or the comments. Most men rape in order to feel powerful and dominant, not primarily because they are sexually aroused. Given this scenario, one could argue that women who embody a variety of qualities are likely targets, not just those who may be considered to have dressed provocatively.

4. Tom_Wood says:

Thanks for this article! I participated in Slut Walk London, which I felt was a positive and important event. I think South Africa needs some version of Slut Walk but it needs to be properly contextualised and therein lies the problem. I don’t think that lifting Slut Walk from Europe or North America and transplanting it in Cape Town or Joburg is going to have any kind of effect. The issues are more complex.

5. laptop legs says:

Oh dear pablo. Likening a woman’s body parts to personal possessions such as laptops? I can see where you were coming from but you obviously can’t. I’ll enlighten you as to what is really behind your comment.
    First of all, you are likening what a women loses when being raped with what you lose when you are robbed of possessions. I can assure you, it is quite a different experience. If you wanted to avoid this and the other issues I bring up below, you should not have called your thought experiment a ‘parallel’. Your very example compares a woman’s body to an object such as a laptop, one which possesses no agency, oh yes, and a price. Whether you thought it through or not, your example interprets a woman as an object that can be taken, one with a flimsy if non-existent agency which comes and goes depending on presentation, and possessing a price which goes up or down with the skirt length.
    What was behind your desire to separate blame and causation? Your comment offers me more reasons to view them as similar, not separate. This is probably because you failed to mention some of the main reasons behind sexual assualt. Sexual assualt is very seldomly instigated by arousal. Do you think you are really going to stay hard enough to fuck with someone screaming and crying under you while you inflict pain and beat them? No. This crime is not about regular sexual arousal. Just ask the boys in Pollsmoor. Rape is about exerting power, violent power, over another human being. It is motivated by this, not uncontrollable lust (and on that note, whose lust is uncontrollable? Lust can be controlled, people do it all the time). Your comment demonstrates the problem at the heart of the ‘dress modestly’ argument. At the core they reveal what many men actually think. If I had those views I’d keep them to myself, wrapped up with my other preconceptions, excuses, and justifications for abusive behavior. Why did you even come out to play? Aren’t you embarrassed?

6. for real says:

Kudos laptop legs. Your response is wholesomely educational.

7. Oh Laptop Legs. says:

Pablo wasn’t drawing a parallel between what was being lost, but about the principle of causation and was CLEARLY saying the victim should NOT be blamed. Are you blind? Or do you have trouble understanding?

While it is completely correct to say that some men rape because they feel a lack of power, some men DO rape for sexual gratification and do so because they do not value women as equals. They take what they want when they see it and feel like it. Rape is a complex issue with complex causes besides the obvious norms. These are definitely not excuses, but to say there are no causative factors involved is just plain STUPID. So please, get off your high horse, and read past your bias before making unhelpful and derogatory comments like this.

8. Tim says:

I think rape is a by product of a society in which individuals are unable to connect with each other on an empathetic level.(Yes it’s got to do with wanting to be in power etc. but the urge to be in control would be overridden by the pain of the people you hurt, if only you could feel it) If we could feel the pain of others and realize that to hurt another person is to hurt ourselves, rape would be absolutely unthinkable. Perhaps rape is just a frustrated monkey’s way of trying desperately to connect with the world around it.

9. for real says:

No, the moment you start to commodify women’s dignity along the same lines as possessions, then you are on a slippery slope of no return.

Some things are very simple in their evil and their causes. We call them “complex” as an excuse to absolve ourselves from dealing with them properly.

10. Tim says:

“A slippery slope of no return” ? ~Really, if you believe that then your comment would be superfluous since, THERE’S NO RETURN

11. laptop legs says:

At the guys who reused my name as his name because it was so witty:

I was merely pointing out what his parallel meant, in its very nature, in case he didn’t realise the powerful implications in his own argument. No, I am not blind, I did see that he kept repeating that the victim should not be blamed. I saw this as a fragmented, contradictory and hypocritical claim however, because in the same comment he makes a very weak case for the separation of blame and causation. This is why I asked why he felt he needed to do so, to which he has not replied. I realise my comment had an angry pants tone and I should have left that at the door, as it caused an angry pants response. I apologise. I should have realised that any back-and-forth I was about to cause would slut up the comment wall (‘slut’ in its original sense means dirty or messy). But my comments and questions pose useful questions to Pablo and others who hold similar views. So no, I think I’ll stay on my high horse. I can see my house from here.

12. Pablo says:

@ laptop legs

Hi. I like your high and mighty attitude all the more for the fact that you’ve misunderstood this “parallel”. I think it’s a good rubric for assessing the situation. And here’s the part you’ve misunderstood – the equation is not between the laptop and the girl’s legs. The equation is between two abstract rights: in the first case, the right to private property, to not have my property infringed upon or removed from my possession without my consent, the right to move freely without being accosted. In the second case, the abstract right is equivalent, but accrued differently – in other words, the right to bodily integrity, the right to not have one’s body infringed upon without consent, the right to move freely without being accosted. There is a greater equivalency between the two exampels than you are willing to credit.

Furthermore, you say that by creating this parallel, I am committing some sin of reducing a woman’s body to an object, a possession, with no agency. But two things here: if that were the case firstly, would that then somehow negate the congruities between these two things elsewhere. And secondly, from the perspective of the rapist, is the woman’s body not simply an object? How does it help us to theorise from a perspective which does not factor the rapist – whose presence pretty much ignites the totality of this whole problem – and his views/attitudes into account? To the rapist, the woman’s body is interpreted as an object.

But, as a digression, I could extend the defence above even further by saying that the thing being infringed upon in rape is not simply the body, the physical, but abstract things like dignity, personhood etc. – in which case, the woman doesn’t lose her “body” per se as in the laptop example. What I’m trying to get at here is that the “agency” of the woman, or the laptop-carrier is clearly not the point. The infringment occurs both at the level of the physical, and the level of abstract rights. The violation of rights here is common to both.

Now then, your nonsense about my “desire” to separate blame and causation – well, isn’t it obvious. For one, they are demonstrably separate: ie, we can argue that getting intoxicated, behaving provocatively, dressing provocatively factor in to the possibilities of rape, while not blaming the victim because of this. The blame lies on behalf of the rapist. The other reason, is to because it is naive to think that by addressing the question of “not blaming the victim” you are addressing the issue of causation. As they are separate, although intertwined, it stands to reason that arguing that the victim should not blamed (fair, accurate) does not argue for the fact that dressing a certain could not provoke the possibilities of opportunist rape.

Whether women (or men) like it or not, we live in world which makes the simple equation of “I dress how I like, and shouldn’t be raped” a completely facile one. We know that various factors contribute to the possibility of rape, and I don’t see how ignoring one of them, or asserting your rights to one of them, reduces its agency in the possbilities of rape.

Finally, rape by and large is motivated by all sorts of factors – power, familiarity, misogyny, powerlessness (in most cases), criminal attitudes, arousal, vulnerability on the part of the woman, whatever – and I acknowledged this in my original post. My point is, we can’t isolate dress and claim that it does not factor into causation at all.

If this were true, then why are the placards at these Slutwalks saying things like “just because I dress x doesn’t mean I want to be raped” etc., or various permutations on the above theme? That in itself acknowledges that the whole point of this demonstration is to draw to attention to the relationship between dress and rape. The argument goes, “don’t blame the victim”, not “dressing a certain way does not contribute to the possibility of rape.” Because if it argued the latter, if would not have to argue the former.

Cheers, look forward to your response.

13. Linda Stupart says:

Generally, I prefer not to comment on my own articles, but in this case I feel I need to:

Pablo: your first comment is completely abhorrent, the inappropriate parallel aside, language like “rape victims who look so awful you’d conjure them up to stall ejaculation” is violent, insensitive and (surely you can realise this) mysoginist. Laptop Legs has commented fully on your equation of laptop = sexual freedom. Bits of your later argument make more sense. I agree there are elements of good advice as opposed to victim blaming, that could be useful, like don’t go back to a hotel room with a drunk football team wearing a cheerleaders outfit (unless, of course, that’s your vibe).

Your argument over causation and blaming is weak in its logic to me. If x causes y to happen, then, logically, y is to the cause of x, and x is responsible (or to ‘blame’ for) y. Suggesting a causal relationship between women’s dress (x) and rape (y) is exactly the same as blaming women’s dress, and thus women, for rape.

Quite frankly, as you in fact so violently point out in your first comment, women are not raped because of what they look like. The reason for protesting dress specifically is a RESPONSE to a throwaway comment made by a policeman, and could also be viewed as a response to Zuma’s incendiary remark…

‘For Real’: when you say “women who embody a variety of qualities are likely targets, not just those who may be considered to have dressed provocatively.” I, and I would imagine every women, certainly every female victim of rape would LOVE to know what you’re referring to. The rest of your comments, though, make total sense. Thank you.

Matthew Eriksen, as for your comment, I love comma splices. Soz.

Everyone else, thank you for the insight. Also, great to hear from someone who participated internationally.

14. Pablo says:

@Linda

Re: the “violent” comment. It is insensitive, but also hilarious. One man’s pathos, suitably repackaged, is another’s comedy – this is one of the fundamental bases of how comedy operates (interestingly, though, why explicitly misogynist? people like to wave that word around)

Re: your causation point – but, however, I specifically said that there was no “direct” (I believe that’s the word I used) causation between dress and rape. The “violent” comment above refers.

But I should redirect the current here, because you’re the one who has actually not substantiated the vacuum left behind by your proposition. Does dress – along with intoxication and flirting, both mentioned in the placard in the opening picture of this article – then absolutely not figure in the constellation of factors which could probably cause rape?

I’m open to change my mind on this happily, but let’s hear your perspective. According to a rigid logic, if your answer is ‘no’, and emphatically negative, then I would find that at least to be curious and worth exploring. If your answer is ‘yes’, then are women to blame for provocation, as per the laptop example? I think it is possible to have dress factor in to possible provocation, without holding the woman responsible. I don’t think this is weak logic.

Also, lastly, emotion seems to have clouded people’s ability to abstract from that laptop/Observatory anecdote the point about a) crimes happen and b) what constitutes risk behaviour and c) at what point does risk behaviour converge upon issues of blame/condemnation?

15. Matthew Eriksen says:

Maybe a less provocative analogy would obviate the problems Pablo’s first example raised: rather than a laptop, what if I took a stroll in a dangerous neighbourhood (knowing that fact) and I was killed?

Would it be as inflammatory to suggest that maybe I shouldn’t have been doing something so stupid?

I guess you said it yourself?

“I agree there are elements of good advice as opposed to victim blaming, that could be useful, like don’t go back to a hotel room with a drunk football team wearing a cheerleaders outfit (unless, of course, that’s your vibe).”

If blame and causation are as mutually identifiable as you say, why would women need any advice at all?

I was joking about the comma splices, I love them too, they’re great.

16. Walter Pike says:

To answer one of your questions the person who decided to bring the Slutwalk protest to South Africa is a rape victim and is planned to take place in the centre of the city of Jozi – not the suburbs.

There appears to me to be a lot of confused thinking regarding the term slut and about rape itself. I don’t pretend to know or even understand the in depth reasons but wish to make the following points from my perspective.

1 Whether the rapist is motivated by his own inadequacy or by a perverted pursuit of sexual gratification – his motivation is about him its not about the victim.
    2 Nothing in the way a woman dresses or conducts herself will turn a man who would otherwise not be into a rapist.
    3 A woman’s decision on her sexuality and how promiscuous she may be – in fact whether she is a slut or not is her choice. That she may have a huge appetite for sex even with multiple partners in no way gives someone with whom she has chosen not to share this part of her life with the right to take it.
    4 Slutwalk is clearly not a comment on whether is prudent to provoke an already sick individual who is predisposed to rape.
    5 That not everyone will feel safe to actually march may be true, but the protest may encourage them to be less tolerant.

In South Africa we need very much to discuss this, we need very much to respect these choices we need very much ridicule the argument that somehow excuses “corrective rape” or any other attack on anyone’s personal freedoms. We need very much to discuss the way society has of sweeping the issue under the carpet by somehow blaming the victim, if we dissuade those would otherwise act out their fantasy that doing so would never be excused and so stop them we would have made a contribution.

The slutwalk protest appeals to me because it is provocative, because as a word “slut” in itself challenges so many stereotypes and goes to the heart of many of the excuses.

17. lol says:

I think the most disturbing thing that this article, this event and all the related comments here and on fb highlight is that a hell of a lot of men believe that women are somehow responsible in some part if they are raped.

I dont think you need to over analyse it, argue about it or try and explain or validate your position. Its pretty simple: Women are not responsible, causal or in any way agents in their rape. By simple definition and by obvious sense rape is about the removal of power and about doing something to someone that they dont want. You simply cannot be a rational person and believe a woman is in any way responsible if she is raped. complete bollocks.

18. Linda Stupart says:

Pablo: No, I can honestly say I do not think that any woman has ever been raped because of what she is wearing.

19. Linda Stupart says:

Also Walter, thanks for the comment. I agree entirely. The word slut origonally means ‘unclean’, I mentioned this right in the beginning, but I think it’s so important to fight for the freedom to have as much sex as I want without being labelled as something disposable, dirty and so on, a right that any bachelor, player, womaniser and so on has never even had to think about.

This is why I found Atwood’s text so profound, in terms of freedom to and from…

20. Linda Stupart says:

Oh, and (sorry, this is my last word):

The relationship between risk-seeking, masochism and sexual violence is hugely complex, I agree. The thing with all of these ideas though is that they are predicated by an assumtion of Man as sexually dominant, while Woman is sexually submissive. The fact that men CAN use their penis as a weapon means that you end up with a circular, causal relationship between supposed biological and cultural gender difference.

ie. Men are usually physically stronger, they have cocks, they can, and do, rape women (and other men too), thus they are also seener as ‘powerful’, ‘more active’, ‘more lustful’ and so on, both with sexual and social relationships. Real sexual violence opresses women, in that it also denies us agency in our day to day sexual relations with men, as well as ALL intra-gender relationships (which I believe are too often founded on ideas of the sex act itself). anyway, it’s a long conversation, but that’s the beginning…

21. for real says:

To answer Linda’s concerns. The comment in question is based on a degree of personal observation during a very sad incident in my neighbourhood. A woman living near to to me was brutally raped several years ago in her home shortly after her husband left for work in the morning. She had never dressed provocatively or acted frivolously to my knowledge. Why was she targeted? Well, I suspect that it was because she was elegant, stauesque and relatively well-off financially. These are qualities which many men find extremely intimidating when they do not have the means and the confiidence to associate with such women socially. If rape really is primarily about the assertion of power by those who feel disempowered, then we should consider whether ANY admirable feminine quality renders a woman a more likely target. This is why I think the dry academic discussion around “causation” gets us nowhere towards addressing the problem. The neurosis of the perpetrator is the issue, not the environment in which it asserts itself.

22. Matthew Eriksen says:

It’s hard to assume the politically incorrect view, because it’s so easy to conflate connotations with actual meanings.

There is absolutely nothing anti-female in anything Pablo has to say. In fact, the principle that underpins his – and my – view has nothing to do with gender at all. It is a matter of sensible, risk avoiding behaviour, whatever the context – I have the right to freedom from bodily harm, but if I’m rude to a cop and brow-beaten in the back of a police van my behaviour patently played a part; I have the right to freedom of movement, but if I’m killed walking around Bishop Lavis at night, I wasn’t being very sensible.

The point is, claiming and asserting one’s rights and agency isn’t mutually exclusive with basing one’s behaviour on reality. I’ll be curteous to a cop even when I don’t want to be. I won’t be walking around any dangerous neighbourhoods late night. I have that right, but I also know certain behaviours co-factor into those rights being infringed.

Also, to issue a proviso possibly late in the argument: this only addresses cause and blame in the context of rape, insofar appearance and dress is involved. But Pablo pointed this out already; there are a whole galaxy of factors which produce rape, dress arguably one of them.

23. Matthew Eriksen says:

I’d also be curious to see how the ‘kifs’ and ‘kak’s would be distributed if all the male names were female, and the female names, male.

I should’ve called myself Matilda or something.

24. Matthew Eriksen says:

Also, while we’re all having after-thought spasms:

“Womaniser” and “player” are pejorative too.

DON’T HATE THE PLAYER.

Gosh, why do people even say that? DIdn’t they read Linda’s article?

25. wtf says:

What the fuck.
    Im a guy and I have honestly never looked at a girl with a short skirt a boobs popping out and thought…’you know what I am gonna go rape her, yeah that’s what I will do just cos shes under dressed..!’

26. Fred Durst says:

@Matthew

While I submit that your rationale is correct in line with current reality, I do believe that your thinking is defeatist.

I also think you’ve misread the article. Are you saying that walking in a dodgy area at night while being economically desirous is as unsafe as going to a well-lit nightclub, shopping mall, restaurant in anything less than a burka?

Because that’s the fucking problem, mate. Just cause shit is bad doesn’t mean you accept it.

27. Devon says:

Fred raises an interesting point. These example are complicated once again when we take into consideration that although rape can take place anywhere, there are high risk areas, such as improperly lit taxi ranks. Of course, most people have very little choice to stand and wait for taxis after or before work at all hours of the morning and night, just as some people cannot help the area they live in. Some people cannot avoid these so called dangerous areas that are being spoken of.

That point aside, I thought it was a good article, which considered many angles. I appreciated the critical standpoint. I also agree with the author in saying that some of the initial comments are misogynistic. Sorry, not matter how subtle, there is no getting around it. And then to be rude to the author on top of that, after she just tried to give more back ground on the issue. Left me very despondent about this anger bubbling under the surface of these conversations. Thanks to all the calm, thoughtful comments, and the well-written article.

28. Johnny Mongral says:

Hey Laptop legs I think you need a good rape so that you can stop being an idiot

29. Moonbeam says:

It is only logical that dressing provocatively may be a partial cause of rape. Even though the victim cannot in any way be blamed it is a part of attracting that extra attention in certain circumstances because I believe that rape had now extended to kids and babies too which is super fucked up.

I guess that is why every Holly scripture emphasis that women should dress modestly in order to protect them from the possible evils. I am not saying that is the reason why women get rape, I am however saying that could possibly be the reason why they are targeted.

30. Tim says:

I agree that it’s the neurosis of the perpetrator which is the factor, the only factor which leads to rape. I think it’s not the way “the slut” dresses which plays a part in her being raped. FULL STOP. There are other characteristics which go along with the personality type of a women who “dresses like a slut”, which is to say her independence, her confidence and her outgoing nature which would play a larger role in her getting raped then her attire, since she would find herself in situations which could lead to rape, being out and about with men etc. If she kept herself cooped up at home like the “sweater wearers” it would be less likely to happen; it’s the lifestyle which goes along with promiscuous clothing. If she wore a sweater but still lived her outgoing lifestyle I think that the probability of rape is just as high.
    You could say that the people who get shot in school massacres are to blame, since the perpetrators of the shootings were bullied outcasts. But the neurosis of the shooter is such that he’ll shoot at everyone, bully or no, because he has become so far removed from his victims that they are blank pages on which he can paint his fantasy.

31. Laptop Legs says:

Wow Johnny. I don’t know whose side you are on but whose ever it is I’m sure they are just super proud you are within their ranks.

Congrats though. You scared the shit out of me. I could lie and say I’m stronger than that but to be honest when a statement like that hits your inbox, you go a little cold.

I don’t think rape would make me less of an idiot though. Pretty sure it is not a cure all. Not for lesbianism, HIV or idiocy.

Sorry I didn’t reply yesterday Pablo. I see now that the conversation continued and that it has gone somewhat past what you and I were talking about. Anyway man, I understood your logic.

I still think its important to investigate whether these claims are initiated by logic or a mixture of the anger and ignorance that Johnny mongrel feels, and that is what I was trying to investigate. In this respect it is equally as important to check our usually dependable logic, as it can be informed by a multitude of emotions and ideologies in this respect, and ask ourselves hard questions. What we do when we get answers like Johnny’s, I don’t know. I attend marches and I sign petitions, I protest and I place pressure on courts. I write articles to raise awareness. I support my sisters and brothers who have been raped in any way that I can. But in bars and clubs, on the streets and on the internet, I have come to experience that the Johnny’s are the rule, not the exception. Which is why I ask what is behind our logic, as the Johnny’s of the world think they are as logical as you or me.

@ Tim: well expressed point.

32. Linda Stupart says:

(As it happens, since the well thought out, measured and supportive comments by men have appeared since, your comment doesn’t really hold anymore).

It still just amazes me that my major point, which is so profoundly obvious to me (that women should be free to have sexual agency, while remaining free from sexual abuse) should prove to be controversial at all…

33. Anonymous says:

this is what happens when they let chicks write for mahala

34. for real says:

@johnny mongral (sic) – Congratulations on posting the most offensive and insensitive comment ever to appear on mahala. If that’s the kind of thing that gives your life meaning, then you still have a looooooong way to travel up the evolutionary chain.

35. Matthew Eriksen says:

“Matthew, while men have, for centuries, considered themselves the experts on women, did it perhaps occur to you that more people had liked women’s comments is that (god forbid) perhaps women actually have more authority to comment on our own position?”

See, this exactly the kind of vitriolic feministic schtick that does absolutely nothing to advance gender equality. It polarises. It assumes. It’s laced with an old fashioned sarcastic bitterness that’s as boorish as “women-who-can’t-drive” jokes. It’s appallng from an academic, and in some ways quite antiquated.

Mine was a comment on how perceived gender identity colours and skews the immediate credibility with which comments are received – not just mine, not just yours, but everybody’s. In fact, if you had no basis for knowing whether I was male or female, you wouldn’t have made that comment in the first place. If anything, it’s extremely telling that you did, and I suppose consolidates the idea that gender-tagged opinions get treated differently.

Also, to return to real issue, female sexuall agency was never called into question. Not by anybody. It’s not a controversial idea, certainly not anymore. Pablos’ and my ideas are simply viewing the relationship between agency and reality, and how the two mitigate one another.

36. Johnny Mongral says:

@For Real, looks like you want to be raped in the naat too maybru. Don’t worry I can organise

37. Raping Your Thoughts says:

Raping is an integeral part of being a south african. people should get used to it and should stop trying to fight it. I know of at least four people that got raped. Yesterday. And three of them are guys. Its kinda normal where I come from.

Im not saying its a good thing, Im just saying that its a reality and people should accept it just like we are so accepting of our goody two shoes presidents with all of his well dressed government officials. They are all very nice people and so honest. Plus they very humble.

The first step to victory is to accept. Once we can do that, rape victims will live much more easily with themselves because everyone is doing it. It will be a cool thing, like going to Assembly or Fiction on a friday night. I havent been raped yet, but when it happens, I will be ready to play along, as we all should be doing.

38. Raping Your Thoughts says:

Yo Johnny.

Im with you on this one, lets rape everyone on this comments section. And people. Thats not a threat. Its joke. Chill out and welcome to Cape Town.

Some one call the kaapse klopse so that we can get this party started.

I wana get my rape on. hahahaha.

Why are white people so seriouse. damn.

39. for real says:

RYT and Johnny – try looking a rape victim in the eyes and repeat what you’ve just said here. Until you have the guts and the conviction to do that your status as insensitive cowards is upheld.

40. bemused says:

I find it ironic that a woman (Linda) calls a man (Pablo) out on presuming things about the female experience, but feels completely comfortable presuming that she knows why men rape.

Reality check:

Visual stimuli are important for men. We’re turned on by what we see. Simple.

Dressing provocatively, is, um, intended to provoke a response. Sometimes this response is provoked.

Men are not good at differentiating between subtle and gross body language cues. There are men out there who are capable of assuming that provocative dress implies personal sexual provocation, and would act on it. Have you never been hit on buy a guy who is totally failing to recognise all your ‘sod off’ cues? We’re dumb like that.

Therefore, wearing bright red lipstick, flashing thighs, bosoms, enlarging pupils – any sort of sexual body language or arousal cue is likely to spark a reaction in men. The reason why these cues exist in the first place are to attract men. Don’t be surprised when men fail to read the more subtle cues.

There are different kinds of rape. I imagine date rape is the most likely outcome of what I’ve described above. At some point a (stupid and insensitive) man could quite easily confuse innocent flirtation with something more sexual and serious. If he’s drunk enough, dumb enough, sadistic enough, or all three, rape can happen.

As Pablo said – its about reality, not theory.

41. Mike says:

I think ‘rape’ is being raped. Its terrible if a woman is just chilling and some dude comes out of the blue and rapes her. What a shock to her universe that must be and how it must throw her for a spin. However, a woman who dresses up to look immediately and obviously sexually attractive to get men’s attention, and then who gets drunk, around other drunk guys, allows herself to get into bed with a drunk dude (note – by now the dude is also drunk and probably on auto-pilot as too is the girl – higher motives giving way to more base desires) and have sex and to avoid feelings of guilt, calls ‘rape’ is not doing her fellow woman any justice. Quite the opposite, she’s doing her an injustice. Much like how the race card is often flaunted at many opportunities thereby cheapening legitimate racial claims, so too is rape.

Imagine in Wimbledon if a tennis player had an unlimited amount of challenges. He/she could throw off their opponent by calling out every shot. Ok ok using any kind of parallel or analogy clearly isn’t going to cut it in this case ever.

Yes, the feminists and rape-victims and friends and families of rape victims will say with a solid stern face ‘say this to a rape victim’s face’ or perhaps vilify all men. From a personal point of view I think women are trying to get men by the balls. Listen – not all men rape. Not all of us are the enemy. Some okes are mullets. However, some WOMEN are mullets and will ride the back of the gravitas that comes from real rape cases.

Apart from being a total mood-killer, what crosses my mind when I may be in a position to sleep with a woman is a) am I totally sure she wants to do this? Do I have her express permission to do this? If I ask she may just grab me and tell me to shut-up. She still hasn’t said yes though. And b) does she have AIDS.

Perhaps the solution is to get a woman to sign a piece of paper stating clearly she is lucid and wants to sleep with me. I’d be surprised if I ever get to do this, even with a girlfriend. But hey, not impossible I suppose. Even if she did sign I imagine I could still be a mullet and be all bos and as soon as she’s finished signing I could rip off her clothes and pull a rape move (hypothetically) so even though she’s consented things could still go awry. That’s be a power thing.

I think of Scorpions or something that keep adapting the male and female species so that the male gets bigger pincers to clasp the female to mate with her, then the female adapts to defend herself better, then the male adapts to some other method, then the female adapts some other way etc… Their mating thing is a total power battle it looks like. Ugly stuff. Sex – thinly veiled battle? I think so. Not as lovely as some of the movies would lead me to believe.

Do I think men and women will come to a common understanding? No. And I feel terrible for the men and women who have had their power taken away by force. However they can get it back. Are we civilized? Well, some of us are sometimes, sometimes not. Sometimes the monster wants to out and it will, and there are repercussions. Eish.

42. Castratrix says:

The problem is men and their cocks. But men have a weakness that us women know about. Their weak, pathetic, vulnerable balls. And we can strike them out and make them less of a man with barely any consequences. Try kicking them repeatedly in the balls until they have to go for surgery and have their little balls removed. Or even better – we should have a public reprisal for rapists. Line up ten at a time, with a huge crowd of women, strip them naked, bring out their rape victims, force them to get erections, and then slash off their cocks and balls and watch them scream and bleed to death. Forced surgical castration. The development of a eunuch class. We need to show men that the only thing giving them the power here can be easily ripped away from them. Ever seen a boy/man cry because you’ve just given him a gentle knee in his balls? Seen him cry from the pain and the humiliation. That’s the power we have. Men need to know that their balls belong to us and we destroy them if we want.

43. Mike says:

@ Castratix > that’s racist.

Out of interest, for women that rape men could you slash off their punani?

44. James Watts says:

I did not say men are programmed to rape. I said, culture diverts man to ‘rationalize’ his sexual desire, inculcated during childhood. only to eventuate into a deformation of character unable to express his want. These forces.. are ancient and forged during the incipiency of primordial evolution. and also.. there is no need to feign moral or principle, this cause is a form of ‘chaos magic’. Though I am.. a fatalistic atheist and represent no division of para-psychology whatsoever. The sexual energy pervading through the mass is transferred to the audience, the antithesis of ‘assuagement’. Hoping in their petulance they will sort themselves out.

45. James Watts says:

the mind is not a linear page to be systematically deceived. It is a complicated and many layered thing. Once again, the disposition of sickness is subjective and varies between cases, so you cannot emphatically target subjects inclined to rape. Men are angry, as girls are selective. Which is perfectly fine. But men crave power.. Sex, is pure power

46. James Watts says:

aah forgive me. The actual repression of desire is inculcated during child hood.. not the desire itself. And it is in the right of girls to be selective and date whoever they please. Jealousy certainly exists but.. that is beyond their influence and hardly their concern.

47. Alex Demille says:

Linda, this has been a very interesting dicussion. It certainly highlights a few ‘sticky areas’ in our developing attitudes towards gender in this country. I am a man, and I was raped in my teenage years by an older man. It seems that the men in this forum don’t understand how common rape is and that it reaches men too. I was quite appalled to hear some of the comments left by other men. It seems that woman who haven’t been raped are naturally empathetic to other women who have, but this discussion makes it very clear that a lot of men are incapable of this kind of empathy. That is probably one of the most upsetting things about this whole forum. It’s strangely ironic in that it only demonstrates the problem that your article was highlighting in the first place.

Here are my thoughts:

1) Rape is not universal. Several issues can contribute to the psychology of a rapist, and there can be – as you yourself admitted in your comment about dressing like a cheerleader in a room full of unruly men – certain extenuating circumstances that ‘could’ trigger sexually aggressive behavior (only) in those who are predisposed to that sort of thing. Child molesters will have different justifications for raping their victims than someone who drank too much and lost their sense of restraint/respect for the other. We can’t try to understand and correct the motivating mentaility behind rape without first understanding the contexts in which these acts occur.

2) A woman is not premiscuous because she dresses ‘premiscuously’. However, while you have made several valid remarks on this point, I think it is important to address how influential clothing is in the social psychology of human beings. Women in some Islamic nations have been killed for exposing far less. We would never accuse these women of dressing like ‘sluts’, but someone clearly had a problem with them. Look to Asian women as a further example of this. Their ideas differ to ours when it comes to the sexual significance of various parts of the body. For example, in Korea a woman who exposes the skin of her shoulders, upper arms, neck or chest is usually seen as someone of questionable morals. However, it is perfectly respectable to wear tiny hotpants and 8 inch heals (as long as the top part of your body is covered). The point I’m trying to make here is that we do have to take what we wear in to consideration (in as much as that what we wear facilitatates certain types of social behavior).

3) Rape is an act that destroys a person’s autonomy. It robs a human of the right to choose, and in that sense only, rape is like theft. We are all capable of theft and we are all (more often than not) less than considerate to other humans. When I was young (before I was raped) I engaged in an act of sexula exploration that wasn’t entirely consentual in that my friend was sleeping while I was examining their genitalia. THe irony of this never escapes me, and it just goes to show that ALL men, no matter who they are, are capable of sexual violence. It’s easy to condemn a rapist for the act of rape without realising that the mentality behind sexual violence is the same as that of all forms of violence and even theft. We should spend more time addressing the real root of the problem. I feel that this is what your article was trying to do and i don’t see how this was lost on so many of your readers.

4) Our ideas about masculinity are completely outdated . We can’t address the way men interact with women without first re-conceptualising masculinity and then implementing those new ideas in our lives. Men AND women have the power to prevent future acts of rape by actively rejecting the child-rearing stereotypes that make boys into ‘men’. It’s not enough to say that men can rape because they have an ‘outy’ and women have an ‘inny’ and the physics takes care of the rest. Men are cleary encouraged to embody certain traits and in doing so, repress several organic traits that could later prevent sexual violence. Children should also be educated about sexual violence. My mother is also a rape survivor. She took it upon herself to make sure that I understood the gravity of rape before i reached puberty. I think this was the only thing preventing me from becoming a full-blown rapist when I was in puberty.

So in response to your article, I agree that ‘slut walk’ is not for South Africa. Our culture is more layered than most others. Perhaps a fundraising race would be more effective? People from all kinds of communities could come together in solidarity against sexual violence, and as a symbol of fearlessness, and in in an effort to raise more awareness and educate people about the problems our country faces. The funds could then go towards some of the foundations that help rehabiliate survivors, provide anti-retrovirals and educate school children more effectively about sex. It could be called the ‘race against rape’?

48. Punan says:

James Watts, you sound like a fucking retarded little shit. I looked you up on Facebook and you look like a lesbian with your short black hair and glasses. Please shut the fuck up.

49. James Watts says:

I know you are sensitive about the issue, but you cannot let your subjective prejudice bar these girls from expressing themselves. Liberty is the act of saying and living as you see fit. Slutwalk is not only about ‘rape’ it is a resistance against all men, who impose guilt and complex onto girls for their own selfish delectation.
    Also be careful not to get too ‘anecdotal’. It is easy to feel entitled to something, upon the basis of trauma. Rather confront your memories alone than let others rationalize your grudge.

50. James Watts says:

I say.. I didn’t see Punans comment before I submitted my previous post

51. James Watts says:

I’m sorry.. I’m a notorious cunt!! incidentally, I have about 5000 jokes up my sleeve in response but I exercise every bit of self restraint to be forthcoming .I have demonstrated that lust is not wholly something to be ashamed about, if you contemplate the absence of drugs to assuage pain that you cannot control on your own. If you have a girl coming to hold you or make love to you, it kind of eases a lot of doubt and your image of reflection. If you were to question your ‘ongoings’ during the day, they did eventuate into a plausible reward. Of course, we argue whether the species shall transcend in consciousness to be able to, assuage their desire and divert their attention to other activities which may better the human race. I have not come to promulgate an idealogy of chaos or unrestrained sin. I use sin, denotative of the general consensus of ‘principle’. It is quick to evoke your attention with such a weird word, for you seem to think I arrogate the resonance of a fanatic. Yet I speak only from the intellectual forefront of the aryan race. For you will learn by degrees, if you had the grace to say these words to may face, in casual converse. That there is no science beyond my scope of comprehension or any division of intelligence I am not equal to. But even I and who ever else, must not let personal issues be projected onto others, in spite or jealousy.

52. Plication says:

I completely agree that using the word ‘slut’ to promote the fact that women should be able to do and wear whatever they want without persecution is pretty ironic.

However, I must argue that we live in the decade of the sexual revolution, and any words pertaining to sex gain attention. Hell, even I saw the name ‘Slut walk’ on Facebook and wanted to know what it was about!

Whether it is worth it to use such a derogatory word to gain attention is another debate. It is a tricky topic because the rape problem definitely stems from an unequal power balance and lack of respect between the sexes that sexist terms, such as ‘slut’, only encourages. This is clearly a generalisation; I do not mean that every man who cracks a ‘make-me-a-sandwich’ joke will be a rapist – I am simply saying that these men who use provocative clothing as an excuse for rape see it as if a women is asking for it and yet society tells women that short skirts and tight clothing are attractive to men.

If the woman wearing the short skirt had wanted to have sex, it wouldn’t be rape. It would have been sex and these men would not be in court. So, men, next time you see a woman in a short skirt, make sure you ask first before diving right in, if you want to avoid a tricky situation and world wide disgust at your absolute ignorance.

53. James Watts says:

Hahaha!!. whoever plication is he’s a friggin’ genius. The sexual Revolution!! Jesus Fcuk me sideways!! have I been blind? Of course!! There are only two things in nature we can be certain of, and that is the embrace of making love.. and there’s something else.. O yes, illicit substance.

54. Plication says:

Thanks James, but Plication is a woman… Well an 18-year-old girl. But female nonetheless!

55. James Watts says:

fancy that!! I’m so sorry, you sounded like a sturdy dude, who didn’t suffer form any concealed insanity.. If you take my meaning. obviously, only a girl could speak like that. What was I thinking?

56. James Watts says:

sorry I believe all men, suffer from some dormant ‘neurosis’.. OR if left to their own devices they would kill themselves.. while all girls or female are innately meek and docile. Without the feminine, this planet would be nothing

57. Still Raping Thoughts says:

James i think you must stop commenting and get a life now. This shit is getting boring. Have you ver tried raping someone, its fucking fun, if not then just shut the fuck up and go back to sleep. You sound like some dumb mother fucker that studied some random shit at UCT. please die.

58. James Watts says:

Not even in my most intoxicated mind, have I come close to raping someone. You, must have some basis of sound conviction to say THAT stupid. The closest I’ve ever come to UCT is only to make my periodic trip to their Linux Toaster.

59. Papa Wag Vir Jou... says:

Hey James.

Heres an idea, why dont you tell me where you live. Then me and friends can make a turn there on our way home form work, so maybe 5.30. The we can show you what rape really is. Its not that bad if everyones having fun and smiling i promise. You dont have to be shy. We can take it slow.

Raping doesnt have to be a taboo subject, people must embrace it. What makes it even more fun is if we all have a little spike of heroin. Mmmmmm… lekker. It slows everything down so that before you go and sleep tonight then you will be able to see our faces as vivid as fuck.

Dont be a girl about it. Oh wait actually, be a girl about it. I like that. 😉

60. James Watts says:

I say.. Jason is that you??

61. James Watts says:

if not, it’s impossible. Only my close friends know I’m living off my perpetual wealth and suffer from insomnia

62. Papa Wag Vir Jou... says:

Haha! You got Me! Now tell me where you live because I kinda forgot. We can um… hang out. And play playstation and hit up that bong. What do you say? Come on, dont be like that I miss you dude. We never hang out anymore. Are you up for it?

63. James Watts says:

Maybe. Do you have anything to do with that Umeshree girl incident?

64. James Watts says:

I’ve got some fishes to fry. Deals to seal. When I’m done I’ll certainly call you. ps. cell phone ringing

65. James Watts says:

I missed it.. too bad. I have some unfinished business. Converse soon you scoundrel!

66. Papa Wag Vir Jou... says:

Ok its cool. Just remember, Papa wag vir jou.

But in the mean time Im just going to watch the last part of ‘Dont Mess With The Zohan’ that movie always crack me up. And then maybe smoke a well rolled jay. See you later.

67. Papa Wag Vir Jou... says:

Oh shit I got my priorities wrong! First smoke a jay, THEN watch Zohan. Damn. Has school taught me fokkel? Hahaha…

68. James Watts says:

You know, I would rather have shitted a boiling hot pine-apple in front of a coterie of fairies, than be exposed like you. How disgraceful!

69. James Watts says:

You certainly didn’t think my associates would overlook this. Just like the time I was sprung from the Trial Cell. You damn fringe world liberals are all alike. Your loyalty lies soiled upon your efflorescent flesh.. pulsating with sickness. Do not come to my manor, I need to be alone for awhile

70. James Watts says:

I have not come to get anecdotal. But I will relay my subjective prejudice. Where within I myself feel, inclined to speak on behalf on rape. My mother, when I was say 10. Was beaten to a bleeding wreck, writhing in inexorable pain.. .. then incidentally asphyxiated until she passed out before my very eyes. Somehow, she survived.. incidentally I would reflect in my forlorn form, with confused indignation, a docile fool reflecting with mild question. ‘why?’. There is no reason. God is certainly Dead! And too.. that coloured girl who was my room-mate for a periodic spell, abused and forced upon by that familiar character. Indeed, we were all using materia. Yet would I set aside my decadence and question my itinerary? Perhaps. But know this.. that man when I came to him, was groveling before me, in the most disabled sue for mercy. I am a very funny guy, but I can be very unfunny, if I wish. And I never did sleep with her, contrary to the hearsay dispersed against my name. I say.. While you conspire to belie my name, did you pause to contemplate your immorality? In any case.. Nay due not pity me. Most assuredly you will live. I want you to live… live with these memories. It gives me great sorrow to exit, but aah it’s getting late and I must commit my head to the pillow. PS. stop disseminating rumour of my alleged ‘mystique’ while you are certainly suffering from insanity as you speak of such overt hallucination. No doubt, caused by sexual frustration. Don’t say that shit cos the last fucker got nailed to a cross who said he was so. Good bye

71. Daddy Is Still Waiting For You... says:

hahaha. dude. i like you man, you kak funny. im not a racist or anything i actually love all races. eps indian girls, but ya white black coloured i love you all. you amaze me with your existence. but i must say that only a white kid could have written such crazy talk. what the fuck is up with you james? you are most probably smoking that kush. good for you my man.

i like it though, im down with anything creative, i spent my youth hanging out with felix laband when he was still in love with that great dame called heroin. so i get it. its all fun. anyways, we should really meet. email me your address. i have a surprise for you. its long and black, and very thick. im sure you will love it when you see it. *wink wink*

72. James Watts says:

duuuuuuuuuuuude.. what are doing?? you know I can only dish it out?? But in 3 years time you’ll be on par with Jan V.. the ever-present virginity. Don’t reply cos I’m not coming back. You’ve served me well, you dispensable subordinate. Yet you would have not the grace to face me openly. For I am the Prince of Blades.. and my stare alone will reduce you to ash. On a separate topic I don’t know what to do with all this money.. aaah being the heir to so much wealth!! I wish I had something to love and cuddle and spend all my energy towards!! BYE!!!

73. Daddy Going... Gone. says:

Okay cool bye bye. Have a nice life. It was really nice getting to know ye. Live long and Prosper. Im out.

74. Moonbeam says:

Wow James are you a faggot, beause you sure as hell seem quite anal. Is that because you so badly want to take it up the bum hole? Why the fuck are you so intent in being so fucking verbose all the time? Yes we all know that you are white and you went to private school and that you can spell. But seriously being verbose is just dum as fuck. You know why? Because you try and hide behind words because you are ashamed of who you truly are and that is just sad you insomniac freak. se

75. James Watts says:

you would never touch yourself again if you saw what I am

76. James Watts says:

hey everyone reading this. just want to say sorry for acting so retarded. im bored with my life and im very insecure, about everything. why do i even exist?? my existence is such a waste of sperm. shame my poor mother spent 9 months in pain for nothing, it was all a waste. because when i was born i realised that i have no purpose on this planet. sigh….

77. James Arcturus Watts says:

I am sorry.. but there are things that are.. unforgivable

78. James Arcturus Watts says:

Hey.. this is what I do. I rev people. It makes me happy.. But I am concerned about my ex friend. You need.. help. That I cannot give. Bye

79. James Arcturus Watts says:

you emphatically talk about.. Heroin? Yes once a time I did say that illegal substances have the same effect as medical drugs. Where they help with psychological trauma or whatever. But you must understand.. that if you smoke green alone and are unable to negotiate for yourself like a man. Then something is terribly wrong with you.

80. James Arcturus Watts says:

I am. Confused. What on earth am I talking about? I am losing my mind over here.

81. James Handley says:

please people.. come on now.. be at peace! I created Dr James Watts in a story.. he isn’t real for goodness sake. And I know I am a good writer, so put that story out of your mind. Jason J if you;re still listening I hope what you wrote was a joke.. if not yore pretty @#$% up. And what worried me was your denial ( your digital signature is immutable.. unfortunate ) It is not cool to rape. I am not upset about my mother.. but you know.. whatever.. what’s done is done. PLEASE don’t try and mimic James Handley.. cos you can’t ( and I think Mr watts is lying about having so much credits, he gets a periodic allowance from his old man and is a junior Php programmer ) PS. I advise you at Mahala to terminate this page.. it has become too sensitive and personal. thank you

82. James Handley says:

Man Im losing my mind over here. Somebody please delete my life, whoever i say I am, because this is getting a bit too much for me. Im speaking to myself over here. I know Im a good writer and stuff but people are not speaking to me anymore so I start to speak to myself and treat myself like two people. All in the name of creativity.

83. James Watts says:

Hey people.. I’m changing my band name from ‘Blessed be the Meek’
    To The ‘Entourage of narcissistic faggots’

ps. Jason, my old man got a call from your daddy expressing your disbelief. Whato!! Unless someone really really really intelligent contrived this.. I am still certain. Ps. I’m feeling much better I actually got some sleep

84. Jason says:

James is gay.

He has attempted to touch my penis on more than one occasion.

I’ve also caught him masturbating to pictures of Morgan Freeman…

85. Jason says:

Once he told me he hides black hairs in his urethra and wants me to try to remove them as a game…

86. James Watts says:

This MIGHT be my final post. If one may verify our right to resume this.. which has become rather too much. Though we have attracted quite an audience! Can we resume this? It is touching as I watch you so unwittingly confirm your act of infringement. In that case, do not call my old man. Unlike you, he does not have infinite leisure time

87. Jason says:

You’re a faggot. XD

88. James Watts says:

I was kind of hoping ten million people listened to my band.. in this inadvertent game!! FUCK I am so funny.. That footage of someone touching themself?? What say you to THAT!!

89. James Watts says:

Jason.. what the hell brew.. I’m not even a qualified doctor. But you need like, actual help.. and I wish I was sorry. I am not. But there is nothing I can do brew.. Farewell

90. James Watts says:

Yet in that same breath.. While I am aware you are unable to breath… I will affirm.. you have fucked with wrong guy. And if harm did come to Asha Barron by your hand.. You will live to regret this.. I assure you

91. James Watts says:

BREATHE I meant to say there.. I say.. this is getting churlish! It’s time for tea

92. Jason says:

I peed in your tea…

93. James Watts says:

when they say come for you. in your head.. Rapture. Emptiness. Madness. Be sure to submit to Jesus Christ before you.. enter the gates of hell

94. Jason says:

That’s just the pee talking…

95. James Watts says:

I was at a reeeeaal cool trance party last night.. with these girls.. you weren’t invited cos you ALWAYS spoil the party. FUCK GOD DAMN.. all I wanted to do was see her saucy body moving to the sound of the cosmos, her sexy body moving to movement of the war zone… too late.. Just joking!! duuude.. bie

96. James Watts says:

now you’ve pissed me off.. I’m calling my dealer. Fuck you loser

97. James Watts says:

ooo shit.. Matthew typed that as joke. I wouldn’t get that personal. Jeeez brew this whole thing is a joke.. ENOUGH

98. Jason says:

Are you upset about me urine being yellow today?

99. James Watts says:

hahaha.. it’s funny you mention that. NOW gentleman. Take him out

100. James Watts says:

you have all been hypnotized to instinctively worship me. For the present.. I suggest you touch nothing. But there was something else bit slipped my mind for the present. And my name isn’t James Watts. It’s Christian Blood. Die in your despair